Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Last Day

Death is no respecter of persons. It doesn't matter if its a child, parent, friend, or grand-parent. I wrote this in Council Bluffs/Omaha last year as my granddad was dying of mesothelioma. So in memory of USCG Chief Petty Private Officer James E Joyner, I give you:


The Last
Everything I knew, came at an end,
With this pain, my heart won't mend.
Would I be stuck like a  mast,
If I knew it was your last?

The last time I climbed on your lap,
Sometimes even when you took a nap.
I wouldn't have grown up so fast,
If I knew it was your last.

As a child, I'd play on your swings,
It was then I felt I had wings.
I don't want to see you in a cast,
Admitting that it is my last.

My last visit,
Never wanting to think `This is it'
When being quiet was your only wish,
As you tried to catch that "big `ole fish."

Now your gone,
Your chapter is done.
As I say my last good-bye,
I only have the question "why?"

No comments:

Post a Comment